11 / 25 / 05
(comments in parentheses and emphasis are mine)
• What is the truth about the Laws of God?
• It is apparent that when our Savior came, that the Jews obeyed them to be saved.
• The church interprets God’s Word as if to say all, but a choice few, of the Laws no longer valid.
• I have even heard that the Law is mandatory for everyone, regardless of whether or not they are a child of God.
• So, is there still a Law? If so, who is it for?
• After careful reading and study, it seems to me that God’s Laws are only for the family of God (Oh, they are AVAILABLE for all men, just like salvation. But, just like salvation, only those who believe become part of His family, and therefore, receive the gift of His Laws!).
• Think about it … those who say that they are children of God show what this means by the way they live out their lives. Through our words and deeds we show the world who OUR God is! How did His Son reveal Him? Through obedience (love of God) and laying down His life (love of neighbor)!
WAS THE LAW GIVEN TO THE WORLD, OR JUST TO GOD’S CHILDREN? READ FOR YOURSELVES:
• “Do not eat anything you find already dead.” (Yes, this is a Law for God’s children. Obviously, not a hard one to obey, I might add. The verse continues, as if we are asking God, “But Lord, then what are we to do with this dead carcass?” To me, God’s answer is hilarious. Now we, God’s children, cannot eat it, but He says that …) “You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns, and he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner. But YOU are a people holy to the Lord your God.” (Deuteronomy 14:21a)
• “He has revealed His word to Jacob, His laws and decrees to Israel. He has done this for NO OTHER nation; they (The other nations) do not know His laws. Praise the Lord.” (Psalm 147:19-20)
• (Even when it comes to lending to a brother in need, or loaning to a foreigner, it is the foreigner that we are not to hold to the same Law as a fellow citizen of God!) “You may require payment from a foreigner, but you must cancel any debt your brother owes you.” (Deuteronomy 15:3)
• (Okay, our forefathers are about to enter a foreign land by dispossessing of it. God is revealing to His children that this foreign nation does things that He does not permit them to do. Why? Because God is holy, we, His children are to be holy and we are a separated people unto HIM!) “The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for YOU, the Lord your God has not permitted you to do so.” (Deuteronomy 18:14) (I ask you, can we, now that the Messiah has come, break any of these laws, now? Of course not! But WE are to uphold them!!! (Romans 3:30 … “Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the Law.”) We cannot pick and chose which laws to obey just because of the traditions passed down through generations, even centuries, to us. Do not fear persecution of man, but of God who gave us this precious gift … His laws!)
• (Many Christians no longer believe the Laws given through Moses are for them, so the world is no longer envious of us! Let me ask you, how does your child show you that he understands what you told him to do? By DOING it correctly. THAT is showing that he understands!) “Observe them (the laws) carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations (those not part of the family), who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” … “And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?” (Deuteronomy 4:6 and
• (These laws of God, given to us, are actually a way to have a closer relationship with God, through His Son. They are even a possession that we can pass on, or give to our children. (They are better than any pearls or keep-sakes!)) “Moses charged us with a law, a POSSESSION for the assembly of Jacob.” (Deuteronomy 33:4) (Yes, we are that assembly. Along with all those who believed and lived by faith before us!!)
• (The law is not for the un-believers to obey! It is ours and is the very Law that the Spirit is writing on our hearts today (Hebrews 8:8-11). The Spirit does NOT write these precious laws on the hearts of someone who is NOT a child of God!) “He teaches your precepts to Jacob and your law to Israel.” (Deuteronomy 33:10a) (Again, we find God revealing later in Romans 9:6-8 WHO Israel really is … those who believe and live by faith.)
• (Finally, remember when Paul was sent to the Gentiles? The Gentiles did NOT have the Law, since it was never given to them! Paul makes it clear, as he witness to the un-believers, that he was NOT free from God’s law, but by witnessing to them, he was actually adhering to the law of Christ!) “To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am NOT free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law (Let us NOT forget, that it was the Gentiles obedience to the Law, in fact, that proved that the Spirit of God was in them too! “For it is not those who hear the Law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the Law who will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13). We are NOT justified by obeying the Law!! But the obedience to the Law shows that we have been justified (it is revealing the sanctifying work of the Spirit within us).
• I humbly introduce to those who want a closer relationship with their Lord, Jesus Christ, to allow His Spirit to have access to their hearts to write His law. Do not fear man’s rebuke (most comes from inside the church), but fear God. He gave us the right food to eat, the right Sabbath to obey, the correct festivals to celebrate (they ALL of which point to the work of His Son!!). His Laws even show us how to treat our neighbors as ourselves; How to give until we have nothing more to give, but need to receive back; How to lay down our life for another human being; How to pray for our enemies (not curse them) … By obeying God’s eternal Law, we teach our children who God is … unchanging and trustworthy!! Yes, OUR God is the same today as He was yesterday!!
• So how do you show God that you understand Him and love Him? (“THIS is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are NOT burdensome…” (1 John 5:3)
• So let us enjoy the gift God gives freely to His children, and sing as King David did in Psalm119:33 and 97 … “Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.” and “Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.” (Remember, it is Christ who is the Word lived out … perfectly! In turn, by rejecting the Law … are they not rejecting who Christ is?)